Bush House Timeline
1891 Post Office and Railway Station are established at what will become the Index townsite
1893 Town of Index is platted by Amos and Persis Gunn on their mining claim
The Bush House has been found on photos dated as early as 1893
1897 Sunset Mine, located 5 miles east of Index, begins pulling large amounts of copper, stimulating the Town's economy
1898 Bush House is recorded as built next to the BNSF railroad at 308 Index Ave (present location)
1907 Town of Index is incorporated (October 11, 1907)
1911 University of Washington Students Majoring in Mining use the Bush House.
1920's Lee Pickett documents the Bush House through his Photography
1940's Desendents of the Gunn/Doolittle Families own and live in the Bush House
1940's Ed Work, local miner and entreprenuer lives in the Bush House
1956 Bush House is bought by the Sutton family and undergoes major upgrades
1992 Nordstroms purchase the Bush House from Sutton family and make cosmetic repairs, install a new septic and drain field
1999 Earthquake damages south side of the building, knocking it off foundation rocks. That portion of the building is condemned.
2001 Easter 2001 Bush House, Inc. restaurant serves it's last meals under Nordstrom
2002 Bush House, Inc. closes it's doors
2005 The Bush House building and south cottage go on the market for $720K (needing an estimated 800K of restoration)
2007 The Cottage Lot is sold off separately
2008 Storms damage much the roof and the perimeter porch
2009 Vandals break in and destroy most of the historic glass throughout the building
2010 Easement issues sabatoge sale of the Bush House from 2009-2011
2011 Bush House is purchased from Nordstrom family. Sale is finalized on December 28, 2011
2012 Neighbors file suit to stop the Bush House renovation
2012 Bush House gets a new foundation, new roof, and structural improvements. The rear (condemned) addition is removed.
2013 New and restored windows, new siding, and interior updates begin
2014 Ongoing updates, mainly to the interior of the building
2015 The exterior of the building receives a facelift!
2016 The rear event space is rebuilt and updates continue inside and out
2017 The project continues! Watch for summer & fall tours and events!