Helpful Project Information
Index, WA is in Zone 8a
Design the gardens at the Historic Bush House Inn and earn a $500 cash prize!
You're invited to submit a proposal for the layout of the grounds of this beautiful lodging, dining, and event facility. Interested? Here's what you need to know...
Who Can Submit A Proposal...
We are interested in reviewing proposals from Landscape Architects, Designers, and qualified gardeners who can provide a proposal that is ready to implement. You don't need a fancy degree - if you have experience with PNW plants, historic grounds, wedding/event landscaping, garden design, or experience designing your own garden then we'd love to hear from you! Please read the Proposal Requirements below, and team up with a friend if necessary to ensure that your proposal is complete. College students, green thumbs, and home gardeners are welcome!
We are looking for a thorough proposal that is ready to implement. Your design should take into account our current features, wish list, growing season and location. Take advantage of our scheduled site visit days to walk the property with us and ask questions relevant to the project.
A complete proposal will include;
- A detailed Site Diagram* (showing current and proposed features)
- A Plant List with quantities (local wholesale source would be a bonus!)
- Sketches and Renderings* of your design (help us to visualize the finished product)
- Hardscape & Planting Plan
- An Installation Estimate from a local contractor (including labor and materials)
*The information and images on this page may be helpful
Don't miss the site visit! Sign up here to schedule your walk-through.
June 12, 2017 Competition Details Announced
June 19, 20, July 6th Site Visits (optional, you must schedule via email)
July 9 Complete Proposal Due extended!
July 13 Winner Announced!
July 15-30 Installation
August 5-6, 2017 Garden Tour & Photo Shoot
Project Wish List...
Do you wish you knew exactly what we hope to see in the finished proposal? Would it be helpful if you had an idea of the garden style we are looking for? Here are a few of our wish list items to guide your design...
- Heirloom plants that will thrive in our climate
- Brick and rock accents to tie in the old with the new
- Space that is perfect for an outdoor wedding with a view!
- Lots of roses in honor of Ella Bush (and other aromatic plants)
- Efficient use of green space to provide areas for outdoor dining and gatherings
- Benches and other seating areas designed for relaxing
- Great spaces for wedding photos
- A picket fence (it has always had one!)
- An arbor or two
- A long blooming season!
- Inviting... a garden that says "Come in and stay awhile..."
- Plantings that create thoughtful and natural privacy "fence" along property boundaries
How to Submit Your Design...
We can't wait to see what you dream up! Please submit your design via hardcopy or email no later than July 9, 2017.
By Mail (preferred)
You can mail your completed design to:
Bush House Inn
PO Box 359
Index, WA 98256
You can email your design documents to BushHouseInn@gmail.com
In the body of your email be sure to include your name, phone number and a list of attachments. We suggest that you cc yourself so you can see exactly what we have received.